Every Indian heart fills with pride when we see the National Flag unfurling on Republic Day. 26th January brings out the patriot in us but not everybody knows how much significance the day holds for us. So, here are some facts about Republic Day that every Indian must be aware of:
2. After we achieved Independence on August 15 in 1947, our leaders wanted January 26 to be remembered in history as well. Therefore, the day was made to coincide with the day of Swaraj.
3. The first Republic Day was celebrated on January 26, 1950, three years after we got independence.
4. Republic Day Celebrations are a 3-day long affair.
The celebrations end on January 29 with the Beating Retreat ceremony.
5. The first R-Day parade at Rajpath was held in 1955.
6. A Christian song, Abide With Me, is played at the Republic Day Parade. It is believed to be one of Mahatma Gandhi’s favorite songs.
8. Drafting the Constitution was a herculean task. Dr B.R. Ambedkar took 2 years and 11 months to draft the Indian Constitution.
9. Our leaders took the best aspects from other countries’ constitutions. The concept of liberty, equality and fraternity came from the French constitution while the Five-Year Plans came from the USSR constitution.
11. A majority of national awards such as Bharat Ratna, Padma Bhushan and Kirti Chakra are awarded during the Republic Day ceremony.
Republic Day is an important event in India’s history – a moment that celebrates the fact that we are second to none. Let’s take a moment to salute the grand constitution of our country.