__gaTracker('send','pageview');

1993 Mumbai blasts: I am heart broken but have to be strong for my family, says Sanjay Dutt

 
Mumbai: Actor Sanjay Dutt, who has to undergo three-and-a-half years in jail in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, said on Thursday that though he was “heart broken” by the Supreme Court’s verdict, he will continue to remain “strong”.

 

“I have already suffered for 20 years and been in jail for 18 months. If they want me to suffer more, I have to be strong. I am heart broken because today along with me, my three children and my wife and my family will undergo the punishment,” the actor said in a statement.

 

Dutt, who confined himself in his 10th floor flat at ‘Imperial Heights’ in suburban Bandra with his family as Bollywood celebrities paid him visit to express solidarity, said “even with tears in my eyes”, he will continue to believe in the judicial system of the country. He also promised to complete all his pending movie projects. “I am going to complete all my films and won’t let anyone down,” the actor said in the statement.

 

Dutt, who confined himself in his 10th floor flat at ‘Imperial Heights’ in suburban Bandra with his family as Bollywood celebrities paid him visit to express solidarity, said he has to be strong for his family.

 

The actor said he was “shattered and in emotional distress” and thanked the film industry, his fans and supporters for standing by him. “I am overwhelmed by the support of my fans, the industry people, the media and all the well wishers. They have always stood by me and supported me. I know in my heart that I have always been a good human being, respected the system and always been loyal to my country,” he said.

 

“My family is very emotional right now and I have to be strong for them. I am shattered and in emotional distress. I am sorry I can’t come down and meet you all. God is great and he will guide me through this,” Dutt added.

 

The 53-year-old actor, earlier in the day, sent a message to media saying he would explore legal options available after going through the Supreme Court’s verdict. Dutt was found guilty of acquiring illegal weapons from those blamed for the bombings in Mumbai that killed 257 people and was given four weeks by the court to surrender. He has already served 18 months in jail.

 

In 2007, the actor was cleared of conspiracy charges in the Mumbai serial blasts but was found guilty of illegal possession of an AK-56 rifle and a pistol. He was the most high-profile among 100 people found guilty in the bombings trial and had been originally sentenced to six years in jail.

 

Following is Sanjay Dutt’s full statement:
“I have already suffered for 20 years and been in jail for 18 months. If they want me to suffer more I have to be strong. I am heart broken because today along with me, my 3 children and my wife and my family will undergo the punishment.

 

“I have always respected the judicial system and will continue to do so, even with tears in my eyes. I am going to complete all my films and won’t let anyone down. I am overwhelmed by the support of my fans the industry people, the media and all the well wishers. They have always stood by me and supported me.

 

“I know in my heart that I have always been a good human being, respected the system and always been loyal to my country. My family is very emotional right now and I have to be strong for them. I am shattered and in emotional distress. I am sorry I can’t come down and meet you all. God is great and he will guide me through this.”

 

Please follow and like us:

Leave a comment

Leave a reply