Turmeric has been used traditionally for centuries by Ayurveda and Chinese medicine. Curcumin is the active anti-inflammatory ingredient of turmeric and is considered to be the most potent, medicinally powerful, cancer-killing component of turmeric. Scientists are also beginning to realize the importance of turmeric/curcumin in treating modern disease.
Turmeric is considered to fight Cancer in three ways:
• It neutralizes those substances and conditions which can cause cancer.
It directly helps a cell retain its integrity if threatened by carcinogens (a substance causing cancer or growth of cancer cells).
• Curcumins has the potential to destroy a tumor, if it does grow.
How does turmeric help to destroy Cancer?
• Curcumin has the ability to completely block the formation of cancer causing enzyme (Topoisomerase), decreasing the likelihood of cancerous cell formation or growth.
• Curcumin is also rich in antioxidants, which are important disease fighting substances that help to clean up unstable oxygen molecules (free radicals) that can damage cells and cause diseases such as Cancer.
• Curcumin helps to increase the effectiveness and decrease some of the side effects of cancer treatments.
• New research suggests that taking curcumin may counteract the effectiveness of chemotherapy.
How to optimize turmeric absorption?
The only problem with curcumin is that our liver inhibits most of the absorption of curcumin, which decreases the effectiveness of the compound. The ways to increase the body’s ability to absorb curcumin are as follows:
• Consume Turmeric with Beneficial Fats: Try consuming turmeric with healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, and coconut oil.
• Eat Turmeric with Quercetin: Quercetin is a plant flavonoid that inhibits the enzyme that deactivates curcumin.
• Mix Turmeric with Black Pepper: Curcumin absorption increases considerably more with just a small amount of piperine.