Hafiz Saeed requests UN to struck his name off the list of terrorists
The mastermind behind 26/11 attacks Hafiz Saeed has filed a petition to the United Nations to get his name off of the list of terrorist. The Jamaat-ud-Dawah leader has requested in his petition to be not termed a terrorist according to the world body.
Hafiz Saeed is a designated terrorist by the UN Security Council Resolution after the Mumbai terror attacks of 2008. This happened in December, a month after the attacks. US has already named him a “specially designated global terrorist” way back in May 2008.
After the Mumbai Terror attacks of 26/11, US announced a $10 million bounty for Hafiz Saeed. The JuD is said to be a front for Lashkar-e-Taiba, which was banned and also responsible for the 26/11 attacks.
Saeed has filed the petition soon after he was released from house arrest in Pakistan last week. He walked free after the judicial body in the neighbouring country refused to extend his detention and ordered his release. The release was ordered after no evidences were not found against him.
Some time after his release, Hafiz Saeed said that he will gather people all across Pakistan for “Kashmir cause” and help secure freedom to Kashmiris. The Indian government expressed their outrage soon after Saeed was released. This release was termed as an attempt by Pakistan to “mainstream” terrorist and terrorism.
Apart from India, US expressed their concern over the matter as well. They called for him to be arrested immediately and be charged for the crimes committed by him. US also added that he is a designated terrorist and is responsible for the loss of hundreds of innocent lives.
Hafiz Saeed and his four sons were detained by the Pakistan’s Punjab Government for 90 days, on January 31. They were detained under the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997 and the fourth Schedule of the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997.