Friends are for life and a true friend is hard to find. The essence of true friendship never leaves the soul and Friendship Day celebrates exactly that. The first Sunday of August dedicated to the eternal bond of trust and love and people celebrate the day by exchanging gifts, cards and flowers with the special person.
The United Nations has declared 30 July as International Friendship Day. But youngsters prefer to celebrate in on the popular day which falls on 7 August this year. In India, people tie friendship bands to honour their relationship.
To commemorate the day, IBTimes UK has compiled a list of top 10 quotes and messages to celebrate the everlasting bond.
1. The greatest gift of life is friendship, and I have received it. – Hubert H. Humphrey
2. If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you. – Winnie the Pooh
3. Friendship… is not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything. – Muhammad Ali
4. A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down. – Arnold H. Glasgow
5. In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. – Albert Schweitzer
6. The real test of friendship is can you literally do nothing with the other person? Can you enjoy those moments of life that are utterly simple? – Eugene Kennedy.
7. For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone. — Audrey Hepburn
8. One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention. – Clifton Fadiman
9. The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. – Elisabeth Foley
10. Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down. — Oprah Winfrey