The United States dropped a massive GBU-43 bomb, also known as the “mother of all bombs,” in eastern Afghanistan on Thursday against a series of caves used by Islamic State militants.
It was the first time this type of bomb had been used in combat and was dropped from a MC-130 aircraft.
Here are things you need to know about this ‘mother of all bombs’:-
– It is GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb, nicknamed MOAB (“mother of all bombs”)
– A MOAB weighs 21,600 pounds
– It is GPS-guided bomb
– It is America’s most powerful non-nuclear bomb
– The bomb was dropped by an MC-130 aircraft, operated by Air Force Special Operations Command
– This is the first time a MOAB has been used in the battlefield
– This munition was developed during the Iraq War