One of the most popular actresses of 60’s Sadhana Shivdasani passed away today at Hinduja hospital. The cremation will take place tomorrow from her Santacruz residence. According to reports, Waheeda Rehman, Helen and Shaina NC too have reached to condole.
After suffering from a tumour last year, she underwent a surgery for a small lesion in her mouth. Sadhna had been battling cancer for a very long time. A close family friend and BJP city spokesperson Shaina N.C. confirmed the news to IANS saying, ” Sadhana breathed her last at her home this morning.”
Her most memorable films remain Mera Saaya, Wo Kaun Thi and Waqt. After major health problems like Thyroid, she had undergone a treatment at a hospital in Boston. She delivered back to back hits like Intaquam (1969), Ek Phool Do Mali (1969), and Geeta Mera Naam (1974) after returning from Bostob.
Here are 9 facts about Bollywood’s most beloved actress Sadhana:
1.Sadhna always wanted to become an actress. Sadhana Shivdasani’s route to stardom began only after her family fled Karachi during the post-Partition riots and set up residence in the barracks near Sion, Mumbai. In 1955 she got her first little break. She played a chorus girl in the song “Mud mud ke na dekh… mud mud ke” in Raj Kapoor’s Shree 420
2. After spotting her doing a play at Jai Hind College, she was first approached for a role when she was 15. She was casted in India’s first Sindhi film titled Abaana (1958), where she played the role of Sheila Ramani’s younger sister. A token amount of 1 rupee was paid to her as a compensation
3. One photograph changed her life! It was a photograph of her publicizing the film appeared in a movie magazine Screen, after which Sashadhar Mukherjee, one of Hindi cinema’s major producers at that time, noticed her
4. She began one of the major haircut trends. Remember Sadhna Cut? Yes, she’s the one who began the trend. Sadhana cut is inspired from Hollywood actress Audrey Hepburn. Sadhana and her iconic hairstyle in their 1960 romantic film Love in Simla.
5. Apart from all the films that she has done, she’ll forever be remembered for Rafi –Asha duet “Abhi Na Jaao Chodkar”, that till today remains evergreen!
6. In 1963, she did Mere Mehboob. One of the scenes from the film where Rajendra Kumar encounters Sadhna for the first time and sees her eyes through her burqa is considered as one of the most remarkable scenes in Hindi Cinema
7. Describing the visage of Sadhana in a burqa, a stunned Danny Denzongpa once described the sight as “unforgettable”!
8. In 2014, 73 year old Sadhana had made a memorable public appearance. Along with Ranbir Kapoor, she walked the ramp in a pink sari at a fashion show to support the cause for cancer and AIDS patients
9. Revealing her life post-retirement from films, she jokingly revealed, “I do gardening for two hours in the morning. Then sometimes I take a massage. After lunch I go to the club and play cards. In the evening I watch TV. I also have a group of non-filmi friends.”
It would only be fair if we remember her for her contribution to Hindi cinema, her devotion to films and the woman she was. Here’s another beautiful track which will forever be remembered! 🙂